Saturday, November 1, 2008

Water for Sale!

That's right - that free water you can get from you faucet is for sale down at the Cerra house. Cost = "any coin."

Molly came in while I was working on the computer and asked me how to spell water. Then she asked me to spell sale. Thought it was odd but still didn't pay much attention until a few minutes later when Lindsey walked in and showed me her "coin" she got for selling water. So, I decided a water sale was much more interesting than anything I was reading on the computer, and headed outside with my camera.


Molly putting her sign on her water table (made with the top of a dog carrier and covered with a blanket she grabbed from the closet.) The pitcher she got from the garage floor - it's the one I use to water the plants and fill the dog bowls.


When the stand was all set up, Molly was concerned no one was coming to buy her water. David had been the only customer so far. She thought she needed to move closer to the street. Never mind that our cul-de-sac might have two cars drive through a day.

Molly told David that she "even had an umbrella in case her customers got hot." WOW - what service.

I left them to sell their water and David came is saying they were yelling "water for sale" at the top of their lungs. I called friend Elizabeth and asked her to come with "coins" and children. Molly and Lindsey were sooooo excited to have actual customers.

Elizabeth was a good sport and "bought" water as well. Hers was luke warm and had a hair floating in it. Oh, and Molly is serious about making as much of a profit as possible. When you finished your water, if there was anything left in the cup, she dumped it back into the pitcher. She said she "didn't want to waste the water." The germ rating was pretty high at the stand - the 3 cups were recycled between Molly, Lindsey, David, me, Elizabeth, Copeland, and Jay - no cup washes in between customers. Good thing the Health Department didn't swing by.

Molly told her friends that next time she sets up a stand, she's going to sell chocolate milk. Mmmmm...can you imagine how tasty that treat will be.

And the total profit - 5 coins totaling 13 cents. And Molly was...thrilled!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sooo wish I could have been there. How clever of Molly to do such a great job setting everything up. Hated to miss the sale but glad I didn't have to drink the water. I love you all so much. Grammy

Erin, Rob and Holden said...

No price is too high for a cup of water with hair from Molly & Lindsey...wish we were there to participate. So creative!!

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha ha. Love it! So creative!I like how she is thinking of our environment at such a young age.
Shona

Courtney Scott said...

OMG, how cute! Little kids really think of it all, don't they?

Miss Karen's Music said...

That water sounds like the kind you can buy in Brooklyn for $5 a bottle. :) This is my favorite posting yet.

Anonymous said...

This is just a precurser to standing at the exit to the lunch line and asking for change...the apple doesn't fall far from the tree! ;)

love it!

Lar